Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What an inspirational week

Well after the last weekend I had that was filled with running in conditions that were not too pleasant--rain, hills and frigid temperatures--I was looking forward to running in pleasant conditions. On Tuesday night, Kerry and I ran our quick 4 mile Tuesday run together. We left the house thinking, oh we will just get this over with real fast, it's just 4 miles; however, this was not such the case. Those 4 miles felt like the marathon. Thankfully, Kerry was feeling the same way as I was---and for no better way to describe it other than death. Normally while on a run, you like to catch the lights so that you aren't constantly standing around waiting to cross streets, on Tuesday though, we were praying to catch the lights so that we could stop. It was defeating. There we were, struggling through an easy run, when on Saturday, we kicked ass running up and down hills for what my teammates told me was an 8 mile run. How could this be? Well the answer was simple and it was because our bodies were just tired. We put them through a tough weekend, and running on Tuesday was not what they wanted to do. But that's why we have easy 4 mile runs on Tuesdays, to get our bodies back into business. This does not do so much for you mentally, however. It's a blow to your confidence and frustrating.



Needless to say, I took Wednesday, the day for cross training, off because I knew that my body still needed a break. I got up at 5:30 Thursday morning to do my 4 miles before work. In addition to work that morning, I was taking volunteers to the Hope Lodge in Baltimore to make dinner for the patients and their caregivers that evening. I knew that by the time I got back from Baltimore, I would not want to go to the gym to run 4 miles, so 5:30am wake up call it was! Thankfully, the run was MUCH better than Tuesday! I forgot how much I enjoyed running in the morning! Also, for as much as I love running with other people, there is a great peace to running by yourself from time to time. It is a great way to begin the day, clear your mind, enjoy the beautiful morning. The world is so much more peaceful at that time. I concentrated on the sound of my breath and shoes methodically hitting the pavement and I was very much in a zen place. Needless to say, 17 hours later as I climbed into bed, I fell sound asleep!





Saturday morning was a day I had been kind of dreading, and it was more out of fear than anything! On Saturday, I met with my Team in Bethesda to run the Capitol Crescent Trail for 12 miles. I haven't run 12 miles in quite some time, so the thought of it really made me nervous! I woke up again at 5:30 that morning to eat a bowl of cereal and make my way to the trail for our 7:30 am start. Prior to the run, I ate a GU, which is not really how I like to start my mornings! It's not the flavor that is so terrible, it's more the consistency. For those of you who don't know, Gu is this little silver packet of energy gel. It comes in various flavors, ranging from plain to banana to chocolate to expresso to tri-berry, etc. As I said, the flavor=not so bad, the lovely consistency is the part that you have to get over. If you eat Gu and fall madly in love with it, you have issues. But, it works! I don't take Gu for any run under 8 miles. I also learned the hard way during the half marathon that if I don't consistantly take it, like every 4 miles, my stomach gets quite angry with me. So, I take it 15 mins prior to my run and then about every 4 miles, or like every 45 minutes. That morning I was consuming the tri-berry which is quite delightful if you swallow it ASAP and wash it down with lots of water. I have tried other routes of energy, such as shot blocks--which is kind of like a gummi bear, but not really at all, then there are jelly beans and bars. But I like the Gu because it's quick, doesn't take a lot of space up, and works for me. So one bowl of cereal, some Gu and I was ready to hit the trail. The morning was quite beautiful, little chilly with the wind prior to us getting out there, but the sun was coming out and, well, it beat running in pouring rain! Before the run, we all gathered around Coach Tina and did our stretching routine. As we bent over doing the one stretch, Tina did her usual, "I hope nobody had beans last night" comment, but this time took it a step further and added, "I've been on the toilet 4 times already this morning." Oh, runners, what can I say, you learn A LOT about each other quite quickly! Tina then told us that there would be a lot of TEAM members on the trial today because besides our group, the Spring athletes were on the trail as well, running their 18 miles that day! I thought to myself, oh god that is insane, 18 miles! And then laughed because I realized oh crap, I'm headed that way myself! In addition to letting us know about lots of Team members on the trail, Tina told us that NBC would be on the trail filming one of the marathoners training because she is blind. Once again, I attempt to shame anybody reading this blog who attempts to tell me that they can't run, or even walk a considerable distance, as I was among many body types, athletic abilities on Saturday AND ran with a blind woman and a woman who has leaukemia and they are all out there determined to keep going.


After our moment of silence remembering who we were running for, we were off running the 12 miles. We were instructed to remember, this is training, not a race, go slow! In addition, we were told that the first half of the run to Georgetown was downhill, while the second half back the Bethesda was all uphill. GRAND! Here we go! So my pace group set off and I could not look back! At around mile 4, our pacer Hector was like, uhm is it just me, or are we running really fast? And then he said that we were pacing a 8 minute mile. To which we all were like, wow that is borderline ridiculous. So we all backed off, especially with 8 miles ahead, and a long uphill climb. That is, we all slowed up, minus our one teammate Moses who just took off. We saw him at the turn around, and he made it look easy! Running past, all cheery in his green shorts. Mind you, we are all boggled by this as Moses came to the run telling us he had had 6 Miller Lights the nite before. As he ran by us, we are like, Moses, how the hell are you doing this right now--pacing a consistant 8 minute mile---and he shouted, 'carbo loading on 6 miller lights!". I can assure you all that could never be me. I would probably be puking in the bushes. But hey, whatever works for ya!


The trail we were on was so beautiful and there were so many people out! Kerry and I kepts saying how much we wished we had a camera. The houses that we saw were magnificent, seeing little waterfalls, and there were certain parts with tunnels and such that were absolutely gorgeous. I am finding many hidden treasures in DC, so much so that now when I know I have visitors coming, I don't even want to show them monuments, but rather the trails! It's amazing to be on the trails and see everyone out--it's like a whole other world that nobody knows exists! There were water stations for the various running programs that had volunteers handing out water and cheering everyone on! And of course, with all the Team members on the trail, there were many shouts of "GO TEAM!" which is a huge motivator as I said last week. Kerry and I kicked butt and ran the 12 miles in 1:46. The miles actually flew by which was due to the beautiful surroundings, the cheering and the good conversations. At around mile 11/11.3 Kerry and I were coming up on this bridge overpass on one of the roads in Bethesda. I hate this bridge so much for two reasons: one, it shakes incredibly much and literally makes me feel sick--even though it isn't a long bridge--and two, the incline leading up to it is ridiculous. The only positive to the bridge is that you know the run is pretty much over once you get over it. Kerry and I saw the bridge in the distance, with our heavy legs moving forward, and started swearing at the sight of it. Just before we started to climb the incline, came Coach Tina, shouting "There are my ladies! Way to go girls! You are kicking butt you and just look so great!" I practically wanted to burst out in tears, she was amazing! We told her how much we hated the bridge and she agreed saying, "it scares the shit out of me!" We talked about what a perfect day it was to be out on a run, and then corrected ourselves and said, it's a great day to be alive. Before we knew it, we were over the bridge without even realizing it. Kerry and I got a jolt of energy and finished our run and I know it was because of Coach Tina and her enthusiasm! All my teammates agree that everyone needs a Coach Tina in their pocket!


The run was over, we stretched, I struggled to get up off the ground, and then we all went across the street to treat ourselves to bagel sandwiches. Team Hector sat around, mouthing our bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel and had some laughs. Later that night, everyone came over my house for a little st.patty's day fun and a little team bonding. I feel like I've known these people forever and I don't know what I would do with my life without being apart of this. I can't imagine not knowing these people, not waking up at 5:30 and be greeted by the incredible coaches and teammates. I love every minute of this experience and I can only hope that everyone that is reading this, or who is in my life not reading this, has something that makes them feel this great and fulfilled as this experience does for me.

It's been a really inspiring week for me. Between my trip up to the Hope Lodge for work, being on the trails with my teammates, I'm standing a little taller each day. These experiences have put so much perspective on life for me that I have become much more relaxed and aware of what is important. Yesterday, we had a Look Good Feel Better training at work for the beauty professionals that want to help volunteer for the program. This program teaches women how to deal with the side effects of chemo and radiation, virtually giving them a make over and they walk out with a bag of makeup worth about 300 dollars. It is an amazing program. During the training, we have a patient come in for the trainers to do the demonstration of a session with. This particular woman came in all down, not wanting to be there. She even commented to me, you're just so full of energy, I am not there. I laughed and said that I was excited for her to find out what was in store for her and assured her that her spirit would change. My did it. That woman walked out looking and feeling like a million bucks! By the end of the training, this woman who came in with her head hung low, was up dancing with her new wig on, making jokes and just feeling good, like the progam says. At the end, she stayed after all the volunteers left and I was just speaking with her and she kept thanking me over and over again, and she sai, what a great day! Without even thinking, I blurted out, everyday alive is a great day. Now understand, most of these women look at me, a young girl out of college, not much life experience and no cancer, and they probably think I don't know what I'm talking about-so sometimes I keep my thoughts like that to myself. But yesterday, it just popped out. And Ms. Jean, the patient, said to me, my god that was beautiful, you are so right. I can't attribute this attitude to anything but my experiences with Team In Training and my job. I have been blessed to make it this far, especially from where I was a few years ago,and I just realize more and more how amazing things are. How amazing it is that I can give a wig to a woman and have her whole spirit lift and make her feel not sick, to have the ability and the courage to get out and run, to raise money for a good cause. I don't thnk I will forget the moment I had with Tina and Kerry on the bridge when the sun was out, the temperature was perfect and it just hits you, it's a great day to be alive, like I said. I'm glad that I can pass that on to others, especially those who forget that. I certainly know what it's like to want to quit and I hope I can keep spreading those words to others, you're alive, it is great, no matter what.




I am going home finally on Thursday for Easter weekend! I am so excited to be in NJ and to see my family, it's been too long! I will be running 10 miles on Saturday with Kerry, so if you're in town, look out for us!





I'm going to end with a quote Coach Tina sent us last week that was written by a veteran coach of TNT and the quote was about Team In Training. She sent this out in preparation for the recommittment date that is upon all the members. Basically, I'm signing all the paperwork assuring I will have raised $4000 dollars by May 16th--otherwise, I'm footing the bill. Please help spread the word and donate: http://www.active.com/donate/tntnca04/tntncaSNess

Here is the quote:
“This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is important because I’m exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; leaving in its place something that I have trade for it. I want it to be a gain, not loss; good, not evil; success, not failure; in order that I shall not regret the price I paid for it.”~W.Heartsill Wilson~

No comments: